Who certifies PRINCE2?
PeopleCert also manages the PRINCE2 accredited training organizations.
What is PRINCE2 certification?
PRINCE2 is a leading project management method. PRINCE2 certification consists of 2 well-known globally-recognized qualifications. The 2 levels of certification are:
- This is the entry-level qualification.
- Suitable for people working on or supporting projects.
- If you pass this exam it shows that you understand the terminology and key concepts of the method.
- Exam is 1-hour and consists of 60 multiple-choice questions.
- Pass mark is 55%.
- This is the higher-level qualification.
- Pass the Foundation exam before sitting the Practitioner exam.
- If you pass this exam it shows that you can apply PRINCE2 to simple projects.
- Exam is 2.5-hours and consists of 68 multiple-choice questions.
- Pass mark is 55%.
What is accredited PRINCE2 training?
Accredited training means a course has been certified by PeopleCert – the PRINCE2 accreditation body.
These are offered by training companies which have been accredited by PeopleCert on behalf of AXELOS.
Do not pay for training by a company which is not accredited. You have no idea of the quality of the training. It’s not likely to be very good.
Which PRINCE2 certificate should I get?
There are 2 PRINCE2 certificates you can aim for.
- Entry-level qualification
- No experience or qualifications required
- 99.5% pass rate
- Teaches you:
- a basic understanding of PRINCE2
- how to act as an informed member of a project management team using PRINCE2.
- Suitable if you want to participate effectively on projects.
Gaining the PRINCE2 Foundation qualification is a prerequisite for the PRINCE2 Practitioner certificate.
- Higher-level qualification
- No experience required
- Prior qualifications required: Foundation exam
- 83% pass rate
- Teaches you:
- to apply PRINCE2 to a project within an environment supporting PRINCE2
- how to tailor the PRINCE2 themes, processes and management products to a non-complex project.
- Better suited if you want to manage projects
- More jobs require Practitioner
- Looks better on your CV.
Before taking the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must show proof of passing one of these project management certifications:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- PMI® Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®
- PMI® Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- IPMA Level A (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)/li>
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
In the United Kingdom the Association for Project Management (APM) is the IPMA chapter. The APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ) certificate is the IPMA Level D certification. Out of date certifications do not qualify.
PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner
The PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner qualification will teach you the following:
- How to combine PRINCE2 with agile methods such as Scrum
- How to tailor PRINCE2 principles, themes and process on an agile project.
Before taking the PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner examination you must show proof of having passed:
- PRINCE2 Foundation certification.
Students normally gain PRINCE2 certification after attending PRINCE2 Foundation training. Students can also study PRINCE2 Foundation online.
PRINCE2 Certification infographic
Please use the code below to embed the infographic on your web page:
"PMI", "PMP" and "CAPM" are registered marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.